History of Trinity

John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, never mentions Shifnal by name in his famous 'journal', but he must have passed near or through Shifnal many times. One of the few of his fellow clergymen who welcomed Wesley into his parish to preach was John Fletcher of Madeley. His first visit there was in 1764. He entered in his journal on Saturday 21st July 'I rode to Bilbrook near Wolverhampton ... thence we went on to Madeley, an exceedingly pleasant village, encompassed with trees and hills. Many times after this he visited his friend John Fletcher. The last time Wesley was in the neighbourhood was in March 1790 and he died later in the year.


When a society of Methodists began to meet in Shifnal is unknown, but there must have been a society within a short time of Wesley's death. They must have been fairly well established when they decided to build a Chapel, and the first deed drawn up to settle Methodist property in Shifnal is dated 24th June 1815.

 

On April 23rd 1816, one of the Trustees - Thomas Coggan registered the premises "as a place of Religious Worship (used) by an assembly of congregation of Protestants". A certificate of registration still existing, was issued on behalf of The Rt Reverend the Lord Bishop of Lichfield, by his deputy registrar William Mott.

So began the organised life of the Methodist Church in Shifnal. The register of Baptisms was begun in 1838.
The original property had all been replaced by 1836.

Trinity Methodist Church

 The present building

 

Methodism grew and prospered. By the year 1879 application was made for permission to sell the old premises and build new ones on a site already purchased, on which stood a cottage to be altered and extended 'to be used for a Minister's house'.

 

The memorial stones of the new building were laid on 21st October 1879 and Trinity Methodist Church was duly opened on 29th September 1880. The year 1912 saw the installation of the pipe organ an exceedingly fine instrument.


In 1952 it was agreed to carry out extensive work on the building.


In 1999 a complete refurbishment of the Church was undertaken (removal of pews) and interior decoration.

It was with tremendous feelings of pride that the congregation gathered in Church on Wednesday September 8th 2010 for the service and ceremony marking the opening of our new facilities here at Trinity Methodist Church, Shifnal.

 

Those facilities are the result of what should be regarded as a second stage in the redevelopment.

 for the service and ceremony marking the opening of our new facilities here at Trinity Methodist Church, Shifnal.

 

Those facilities are the result of what should be regarded as a second stage in the redevelopment.

 

Before we were able to start any internal developments the roof above the schoolroom at the rear of the premises decided to collapse in parts. Slates fell off, the ornate tower collapsed and the large windows to the side of the schoolroom were in such need of repair there was a distinct possibility that they would collapse. All these problems had to be addressed before any internal renovation could be started.

 

Once we were satisfied that these issues were dealt with the congregation were decided that attention to the front of the premises and the rooms behind the main worship area would ‘complete’ the work started in the previous stage.

 

After many years of fundraising and many months of hard work the second stage is completed. We have put a fresh face on the approach and front of the church and provided a wonderful welcome and social meeting area at the front of church.

 

The refurbishing scheme still continues. The vision is to have modern and suitable premises for the needs of the Church and the community.

 

Rev. Norman Owen